Hamilton within nine points of Rosberg after overcoming Vettel with one-stop strategy after Ferrari took early lead; Rosberg fifth after Mercedes’ clash at start and later suffers puncture; Bottas third.
Lewis Hamilton has closed to within nine points of Nico Rosberg’s world championship lead after beating Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel to victory in a tense Canadian Grand Prix.
For the fifth time in nine starts in Montreal, Hamilton emerged victorious but was pushed by a two-stopping Vettel after the German stormed past both Mercedes and into the lead of the race at the start.
Rosberg finished only fifth, meaning his advantage over Hamilton has shrunk from 43 to nine points in just two races.
The championship leader dropped to 10th on the opening lap after banging wheels with Hamilton as they went side-by-side into Turn One behind the fast-starting Vettel.
Valtteri Bottas was an impressive third from seventh on the grid to give Williams a timely first podium finish of the season.
Canadian GP result
1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 70 laps
2. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, +5.0s
3. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, +46.4s
4. Max Verstappen, Red Bull, +53.0s
5. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, +62.0s
6. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, +63.0s
7. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, +63.6s
8. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, +1 lap
9. Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso, +1 lap
10. Sergio Perez, Force India, +1 lap
11. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, +1 lap
12. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, +1 lap
13. Esteban Gutierrez, Haas, +2 laps
14. Romain Grosjean, Haas, +2 laps
15. Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, +2 laps
16. Kevin Magnussen, Renault, +2 laps
17. Pascal Wehrlein, Manor, +2 laps
18. Felipe Nasr, Sauber, +2 laps
19. Rio Haryanto, Manor, +2 laps
DNF Felipe Massa, Williams
DNF Jolyon Palmer, Renault
DNF Jenson Button, McLaren
But having appeared in total control of the championship just three weeks ago with four wins from the opening five races, Rosberg could be overhauled by Hamilton for the first time this season as soon as the next race in seven days’ time in Azerbaijan.